Is it time for you to remodel your kitchen? Perhaps your kitchen cabinets look worn and the appliances are outdated. Maybe you have visited a friend and admired the beautiful countertops in her kitchen. Now you are hoping for something similar in your own home.
Did you know that when it comes to planning a remodeling project, your kitchen is the most complex room in your home? Many homeowners approach a kitchen remodeling project with only a vague idea of what it involves. They do not realize how critical it is to successfully blend form and function in the design of their kitchen, so the end result will bring them long-term satisfaction and pleasure. This is not a project you should attempt to tackle on your own; we recommend getting help from one of Westside Remodeling’s professional designers.
At the same time, your part in the planning process is vital. You and your designer work together as a team to create the perfect kitchen that meets your individual needs and desires. Here are some questions to consider, in preparation for your initial design consultation. Your answers should be forward-thinking, encompassing today as well as into the near future.
1. Who will be using your kitchen?
- How many people live in your home?
- What are their general ages? Adults, children, teens, older adults, people with mobility or range of motion issues?
- Who will be using the kitchen?
2. How do you use your kitchen?
- Which activities typically take place in your kitchen? Cooking, eating, family gatherings, homework?
- How many people typically use the kitchen at the same time? Are they all cooking, or are they involved in different activities simultaneously?
- What types of cooking usually take place in your kitchen? Family meals, baking, gourmet meals, parties?
- Will you do a lot of entertaining that requires staging in the kitchen? What is a typical size event—10, 50, 100 people?
3. What are your space requirements?
- How much counter space do you need?
- How much and what kind of storage?
- How many and what type of range top/stove and oven(s) do you want?
- How much refrigerator/freezer space do you need? A wine cooler/refrigerator?
- Do you need more than one sink, or a pot-filler faucet at the stove?
- Any other special requirements for your kitchen?
- Magazines or television programs like HGTV can help you develop ideas of what you would like for your kitchen.
- A website like Houzz is a great place to find inspiration. By creating an online “idea book” with images you have collected, you will more easily be able to communicate your preferences.
5. What is your budget?
- Determine what you can afford to spend on your kitchen.
- Decide what you want to spend.
6. What are your project priorities?
- List the things that are most important for you to include in your kitchen remodel.
- Which things would be really nice to have, if they fit in your budget.
- Decide which things you can live without, if necessary.
Once you have answered the above six questions, you will be well-prepared for that initial kitchen design consultation with Westside Remodeling. Because you went to the extra effort of completing your homework ahead of time, you will be very pleased at how smoothly the design process will go, and how successful will be the outcome. It is always our desire at Westside Remodeling to provide you even greater satisfaction with your remodeling project than you expected. Please feel free to contact us for more information.